We all need to relax every now and then. If we don’t, we could end up getting stressed and even sick. However, there are many relaxation activities out there that cost a pretty penny.
What if we want to find some ways to relax without breaking the bank? There are many of them out there and it’s easier than you think!
Here is a list of ideas for zero cost ways to relax:
1. Light Exercise. A great way to relax is getting some light exercise. This can mean going for a walk around the neighbourhood or playing a low impact sport. Exercise has been known to help the body relax and engaging in non-intense exercise will help your mind to unwind as well.
2. Meditation. Taking up meditation is one of the most relaxing activities you can engage in for free. All you need to do is sit in silence and focus on your breath. When negative thoughts arise, acknowledge them, and then let them go. Try doing this for 30 minutes each day.
3. Take a Nap. Babies and toddlers aren’t the only ones that can benefit from a nap! You may even feel relaxed and rejuvenated after a simple 15-minute snooze. You don’t even need to completely fall asleep to enjoy this activity.
4. Shoot the Breeze. Go to a friend’s house or talk to a friend on the phone. Chances are you have one of those friends that you can chat with as if no time has gone by since you last talked. Old friends usually provide great opportunities to talk about the good old days.
5. Listen to Music. Grab the MP3 player and lay down with some great tunes. Pick out a group of songs that you find especially relaxing. Classical and other light songs usually work best.
6. Read a Book. Go check out a new book from the local library and start reading. It may even be a fun activity to read one of your favourite books over again.
7. Take a Hot Bath. Take a hot bath or shower. If you’re taking a bath, add in bubble bath soap, play some classical music, and remember to turn off your phone ringer. This is a simple way to have some peaceful time just for you.
8. Look at Old Photos. Bring out some old photos from your childhood or the photos from a fun trip you took. Remembering some of your treasured moments through photographs will make you smile and relax for sure.
9. Play Board Games. When was the last time you played your favourite board game? Dust off the old Monopoly or Scrabble, prepare some snacks, and play a few games with your family. It’ll be fun for all!
10. Daydream. Allow your mind to wander and dream. Escape to where you’d like to travel one day. Think about what your life will be like in the next 5, 10, or 15 years and write these thoughts down in a journal for you to read later.
These are just 10 simple ideas when it comes to relaxing the zero cost way. Stay creative and remember that it’s okay to waste time every now and then. You can either hang around doing some self-reflection, or you can hang out with friends or family, whatever it is, do something fun!